Like people often say, life gets better in your thirties, and you are nearly there. You finally have the confidence to do everything you never could in your twenties (not to mention the money to do it), and it’s time to celebrate with all your closest friends and family! Now all you need are some amazing 30th birthday party ideas to mark the special occasion.
We’ve come up with some exciting ways to celebrate your 30th birthday, not just with the ultimate party, but fun activities, themes and places to stay that will help make your milestone birthday even more memorable. It's time to start planning!
Party houses in the UK
1. Countryside pursuits at Downie Park House | Cortachy, Angus
If a weekend in the country with your closest friends sounds like the perfect 30th birthday idea, then Downie Park House offers the full package. Organise a day of shooting or fishing with the owner, or book an adventure in the Cairngorms National Park before returning to soak up the delights of this impressive country house.
It’s the perfect place to host a laid-back 30th birthday party with your closest friends – with the luxury of sumptuous rooms and grand décor that’ll have you feeling like a lord or lady! Complete the 30th birthday celebrations with a dinner party hosted in the dining room by caterers so that you can all relax and enjoy the evening. The spacious entrance hall also doubles up as a dance floor so make sure you pack your dancing shoes!
2. Wine tasting at West Hoy Oast | Smarden, Kent
At the heart of the UK’s wine-growing industry, Kent is the perfect destination for true wine lovers. Your twenties are likely to have taught you what you do and don’t like so if wine falls at the top of the ‘like’ list, then a wine experience is a no brainer. Book the party in for a wine-tasting and a tour at one of Kent’s most respected vineyards such as Chapel Down or Hush Heath.
You could go the extra miles and host one yourself too. This beautiful former oast house also has a lovely formal dining area where you could stage a tasting session of your own. With all that wine you’ll be trying, you’ll need to find some time to relax too! The swimming pool and hot tub are wonderful extras that add an element of luxury to the 30th birthday celebrations.
3. An adventure weekend at High Wards | Loch Lomond, Scotland
On the shores of Loch Lomond, from this fabulous retreat you can go kayaking, hiking or test your skills at the TreeZone Aerial Course; there’s tonnes of opportunity for adventure by Loch Lomond with a big group of mates. What better way to mark your 30th birthday than by challenging yourself with an outdoor adventure?
The property itself caters exceptionally well for big groups with its own games room, indoor swimming pool and tennis court. Challenge the group to some friendly competition or soak weary legs in the pool after a long hike – it’s the perfect place to celebrate a 30th birthday, surrounded by your favourite people. There is also a pleasant dining room perfect for that big birthday celebratory meal!
The perfect 30th birthday party idea for her, a spa weekend gives you the chance to celebrate with your closest girls. This luxurious lake house offers a gorgeous retreat in the Cotswolds which looks out over a serene lake. During your stay, you’ll have access to the communal on-site spa facilities which include an indoor pool, gym, steam room and sauna.
Feeling pampered and relaxed, crack open the wine and fire up the BBQ and spend the evening indulging in tasty treats with the backdrop of the beautiful lake. If you’re feeling energetic, the area also offers no-end of thrilling water sports including kayaking, wakeboarding and paddleboarding so you can combine relaxation with an adrenaline-rush to start a new decade.
5. Head out on the town at Woodlands House | Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire
Conveniently located, from this beautiful farmhouse you can be in your favourite restaurant in London in just 50 minutes! Woodlands House is situated so you can choose to put on your dancing shoes and take the city by storm, or if you're in need of some quieter birthday celebrations, far enough from the buzz of the city to allow you peace and relaxation.
After a night in the capital, you can sink into the hot tub, take a gentle walk through the nearby woodland or arrange for a private chef to continue the celebrations the following night. Combine a class night out on the town with some much-needed R&R with your closest friends.
6. A beach party at the Cliff House | Torcross, Devon
Is the guest of honour a beach lover? If the answer is yes, then what better way celebrate their 30th birthday than by renting a cliff-top house with direct access onto the beach? This coastal retreat offers style, luxury and seclusion for a truly elegant 30th birthday party. Not to mention some incredible sunsets! The Cliff House sits above Slapton Sands in Devon and offers space both inside and out for entertaining a group, from the Mediterranean-style garden to the games room.
With this elegant house just steps from the shore, there will be no hurry to leave the beach at the end of the day. There is also a private wood-fired hot tub that looks out over the sea. What better way to toast to your 30th birthday than with your closest friends and a view like that?
7. A family party at The Country Retreat | Leominster, Herefordshire
A milestone birthday is the perfect opportunity to get the family together. As families grow, it gets harder to get everyone together under one roof but at the Country Retreat, there are nine bedrooms, six bathrooms and acres of grounds for you to use! This stunning country retreat really is a 30th birthday treat where you can be sure to celebrate in style.
During the summer, you can throw a party in the garden with a big BBQ and games on the lawn – there’s a hot tub available to add to your booking too! During cooler months, the grand dining room, an impressive bar, cinema room and library all make fantastic entertaining spaces for the whole family. There’s even a playroom for any younger members of the family.
8. The ultimate 30th birthday party at Langman Manor | Bruton, Somerset
Does your idea of a 30th birthday party involve dancing shoes and cocktail dresses? Langman Manor is the ultimate party venue, complete with its very own casino, ballroom, and disco! There is also an array of outdoor activities which will make this party go on for days, and sleeping up to 49 people you can bring all your friends and family along too!
Give archery or clay pigeon shooting a go, set up a tennis tournament, go swimming, play golf or take the pedalos out on the lake or simply enjoy tea on the lawn and relax, surrounded by all your favourite people. There is so much to do at Langman Manor that the celebrations will continue until it’s time to leave.
30th birthday IDEAS FOR HER: (or him)
- Tropical – think hula skirts, Hawaiian punch and perhaps a venue by the beach.
- Favourite film – use their favourite film as inspiration for décor and fancy dress!
- A spa day – soak or steam at one of our large houses with spa facilities.
- Monochrome – black and white is always sleek and stylish.
- Wine not? – have a tasting or just open a couple of bottles of red.
- Brunch – a civilised way to celebrate.
- A casino night – for an easy take, make it a poker night.
- Mixology party – a cocktail making party! Make them yourself or hire a mixologist for the evening.
- Margarita and margarita party – pizza and cocktails, what’s not to love?
- Royal for a day – spoil the guest of honour with a party in a castle.
- A karaoke night – sing your heart out.
- A massive picnic – get everyone to bring snacks and you can soak up the sun with a big group get-together.
- 80s/90s – celebrate with music from the year you were born.
- Host the Olympics – great for competitive friendship groups.
- Swan float party – a pool party with additional swan floats.
30th birthday IDEAS FOR HIM: (or her)
- Beer tasting – for true beer connoisseurs.
- Sports fanatic – get outside for footie or watch a game in the cinema room.
- Winter sports – stay in the highlands of Scotland
- Whiskey and cigars – a chance to sit and chat with the group.
- Prime cut – a BBQ party is always easy and crowd-pleasing.
- 007 – prepare the vodka martinis, shaken not stirred.
- Surfer dude – board shorts and flip flops, done.
- Party like Gatsby – a chance for a dapper get-together.
- Daredevil – get out and about on an adventure holiday with the guys.
- Scuba party – take everyone scuba diving!
- Retro games party – gamers will love a competition with classic throwbacks.
- Bringing home the bacon – a chance for a lot of bacon-flavoured food to be eaten; ever tried bacon popcorn or bacon and beer cupcakes?
- Grumpy old men – do nothing but sit and complain with your mates.
- Moustache themed – may need a month or two’s prep while the ‘tache gets in shape.
30th Birthday FANCY DRESS IDEAS:
- Wild West party – everyone can dust off their cowboy hats and don those spurs.
- We’re in Wonderland – Alice provides great costume inspiration.
- Circus party – a great chance to go all-out on the decoration!
- Movie stars and musicians – Marilyn Monroe and Slash may attend.
- Undead party – the toilet roll bill could get expensive with the amount of mummification required.
- Glitter party – bring a little (or a lot) of sparkle to your event.
- Superhero – Batman and Superman will be among your guests.
- Pensioner party – a walking stick and grey wig could provide a glimpse into the future…
- Your initials – get guests to go as something beginning with your initials e.g. if you’re Maria Smith, feed your ego by getting your friends to dress as something beginning with M or S.
- How well do you know me? – another option for those with a vanity complex; get your friends to dress up as your favourite things and find out how well they know you.
- Disney – a nice twist on the heroes and villains theme as you could include princesses, thieves and talking lions.
- Wig it out – a celebration of wigs everywhere.
- Icons – Michelle Obama, Van Gogh and Cleopatra: guests have the freedom to dress up as anyone they like!
- Rubik’s Cube party – a classic.
30th BIRTHDAY PARTY CAKE IDEAS:
- Tux cake – bow tie optional.
- Ice cream cake – great for cooling down guests on a hot sunny holiday.
- A cupcake mountain – dribble chocolate and toffee then add glitter for an impressive pull-apart cake.
- Irish coffee cupcake – make individual cupcakes and coffees for each guest.
- Giant donut cake – doh!
- Giant scone cake – perfect for those civilised parties in the UK countryside.
- Themed cake – simply decorate to match your party theme whether you pick ‘wine not?’, 007 or the Wild West party, you can make a cake to match.
- Ultimate chocolate cake – make the biggest, baddest chocolate cake you can.
- Boozy margarita lime cake – your ideal poolside birthday cake.
- Pimm’s layer cake – ready for Pimm’s o’clock.
- The big breakfast – not a cake person? Opt for the breakfast cake instead, or try this pizza cake or sushi cake.
- Beer-thday cake – forget the cake altogether.
- Tiered cheese cake – not cheesecake, a cheese cake.
- Fresh watermelon cake – another option for those who don’t like cake but love lounging on a beach.
- Giant pop-out cake – is it even a party if someone doesn’t jump out of a cake?
We hope these 30th birthday party ideas have provided a little inspiration for your upcoming celebration, all that's left to do is to book your party venue! You may also find these dinner party ideas for a crowd useful.
Planning another big birthday? Check out the ultimate guide to milestone birthdays, for ideas on every big celebration!
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.