The key to organising a big family Christmas is not to get overwhelmed...easier said than done, we know. But we are here to help! We are experts when it comes to planning big get-togethers in big houses, and we can help you turn a daunting prospect into the festive fun that it should be!
We have handpicked five impressive houses for Christmas that help make a big family Christmas that little bit extra special.
Choosing the venue
By hiring a large house for your Christmas celebrations, you will eliminate the stress of packing the whole family into your own home. Once you’ve ticked that off the list, the rest will fall into place.
Gloucestershire | Sleeps 13
Designed with a minimalist approach, almost the entire ground floor of this impressive converted grain dryer is open-plan with a kitchen, lounge and dining room combined. There is also an area with a pool table and table football for some competitive family fun. A separate projector room with bean bags is a great spot for the kids to relax, watch films and play on the Xbox. There is also a hot tub for added luxury! The impeccable interior design of this unique building is sure to make a family Christmas even more special.
Why we love it
- Modern open-plan living
- Hot tub
- Pool table and table football
- Projector room with projector screen and Xbox
- Pub and shop within walking distance
- 2 dogs welcome
This isn't the only property on our books perfect for Christmas for large families however - we have a whole collection of family-friendly houses across the UK.
Christmas on the coast at Beacon House
North Devon | Sleeps 12
This stunning townhouse is located close to the North Devon coast, giving you access to some of the area’s best beaches and fishing villages this Christmas. With a stylish interior and plenty of mod-cons, you’ll be wanting to spend plenty of time enjoying Beacon House during your stay. Sink into the hot tub while the children have fun in the games room and relax as a family in the spacious living area. Reminisce about childhood Christmases and make new memories with the latest additions to the family.
Why we love it
- Enjoy the private hot tub
- Get competitive in the games room
- Explore the delights of North Devon coast at ease
If you plan to spend this Christmas with sand between your toes and salty sea air in your lungs, check out our full collection of large holiday homes by the sea available this festive season.
Spend Christmas like a Lord or Lady at Rock-rose House
Eggleston, County Durham | Sleeps 20
How big do you want to go this Christmas? Exuding architectural grandeur, it doesn’t get much more impressive than this stunning stately home. The extravagant venue will have you living like a lord or lady – you may recognise it as the girls finishing school in the hit show, Ladette to Lady. Enjoy the spacious billiard room with table football, table tennis and surround sound music system, tickle the ivories on the piano in the Drawing room, sip a morning coffee in the sunroom and feast together in the grand dining room.
Families can enjoy crisp winter walks, a match on the tennis court or a game of croquet or boules on the lawn, before returning to the manor to relax with a festive tipple in front of an open fire.
Why we love it
Book The Hall Teesdale
- It’s a grand stately home
- Played a starring role in the show, Ladette to Lady
- Games room with billiard table, table football and table tennis
- Catering available (pre-booking directly with owners is essential)
If a Christmas in the country is calling you this festive season, you can find even more spectacular large houses perfect for the celebrations in our portfolio.
Norfolk | Sleeps 20
There isn’t much that has gone forgotten in this lavish party house, with its extravagant style and fun features. Enjoy cocktails in the pavilion room and host a formal feast in the Chinese-style dining room before partying the night away in the soundproofed den. With a karaoke machine, disco dance floor and a dressing up room, you’ll be twirling in all manner of Hollywood costumes. If the party vibe gets too much, retire to the chill-out room for a quiet drink or relax in the eight-seater hot tub.
Why we love it
- The ultimate party house
- An eight-seater hot tub
- Entertainment room with karaoke machine, board games, 50" TV with Apple TV and Netflix
- A dressing up room with lots of fun outfits
- 1 dog welcome
- Walking distance to the beach and local pub
Letterewe, The Scottish Highlands | Sleeps 19
Impressive views over Loch Maree make this elegant property a memorable setting for a big family Christmas party. Accessed only by private boat, it offers families their very own slice of Scotland this Christmas. Take long wintery walks beside the lock before returning to the house to reminisce about Christmases gone by over a few glasses of wine in the living room. The grand dining room is an impressive social space, perfect for hosting a Christmas meal and playing board games late into the night.
Why we love it
Book Letterewe Lodge
- Set on a secluded estate known as ‘The Last Great Wilderness' in Scotland
- Accessed only via a private boat
- A games room with a snooker table
- Plenty of roaring open fires to take off the chill
- Sprawling gardens right to the water’s edge
Party this festive season away with friends and family - check out all of our UK party houses to find your perfect Xmas party pad.
Christmas dinner ideas
Next up, one of the most important elements of Christmas – food! Planning to cook the most remarkable Christmas dinner that your family have ever experienced? Seek help and ideas from a professional like Jamie Oliver. We’ve also come up with some Christmas dinner ideas that might help to take the pressure off.
- Start the Christmas lunch prep the day before – split the jobs into manageable chunks and give yourselves a head start on the main event.
- Delegate some jobs – why not rope the kids in to peel potatoes or make apple sauce? More hands make light work and all that.
- Set the Christmas dinner table the day before – especially if you have centrepieces and decorations – it gives you more time to titivate.
- Share the responsibility – it doesn’t have to be all on you. Ask different members of the group to take charge of the different courses.
- Don’t have Christmas lunch on Christmas day – free up the day for more fun and festivities and have your Christmas dinner the night before or on Boxing Day.
Top tip – why don’t you treat yourselves and arrange for outside caterers to come in and cook your Christmas dinner for you?
Christmas game ideas
When you couldn’t possibly eat another thing, fill up your glasses and gather everyone in front of the fire. It’s time for a bit of family competition: while cinema rooms and pool tables are all well and good, Christmas is all about real, quality time with your family and what better way? In addition to the classic board games, these Christmas game ideas will have you all thinking outside the box.
- Name that carol
- Christmas movie trivia
- Who am I? The festive edition
- Christmas charades
Need a little more inspiration? Head over to Pinterest to find everything from innocent games to play with children to those that are a little more risqué for adults.
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.